Saturday, June 28, 2008

Eat whatever you want

My doctor told me that many women gain 8 to 10 pounds while on chemo for C. I haven't exactly figured out how. Between the diarrhea which hit me again and the way food tastes now, it is hard to imagine how one could overeat. I remember pre-chemo enjoying food, well it wasn't really that long ago. 

Now I wonder each time I put something in my mouth how it will actually taste. When we went to North Carolina we were drinking tap water with ice made from tap water. I fixed myself several glasses and drank it. Finally, I asked Steve why we were drinking such awful tasting water. It turned out that I was the only one who thought it tasted bad. I find very few liquids that taste good to me, but I am drinking apple juice and peppermint iced tea with some small enjoyment. (peppermint tea courtesy of Cameron Smith)

Food can taste good one day and not the next. During my stomach upset I lived on bananas and banana bread. I will make sure to always have a loaf in the freezer ready if needed. When I talked to the nurse yesterday she said to eat whatever works. If all I can eat is candy bars and junk food than so be it. Chocolate does not taste so great right now, so I am not going there. I want to eat a healthy diet especially while I am on chemo, but it is a trial. This is the first time in my life that I was told by a doctor not to lose weight. I wish that I could enjoy that thought. 

Also, they gave me some relief for the hand-foot syndrome. I am off the pills from my evening Friday night dose until Monday morning. If my situation improves, then I will resume the pills at a lower dose until Wednesday. For the 3rd cycle I will begin the pills at the lower dosage. Hurrah, they listened to me and gave me a viable solution. I hate the Xeloda. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I'm still reading your blog. Just getting caught up after being out of town. Thanks for all the details. I'm interested but would feel like asking was an imposition. Seems like you have very dear and attentive friends. Hi, Leslie. I'm thinking about you and can be available if you want company or need errands run, etc.
Wendy.

Elizabeth said...

Wendy:

On my good days I try to do something out of the house. Today I was out for only about an hour. So having visitors would certainly brighten my day, as I spend a lot of time hanging out at home. Just give me a call some time when you are uptown to see if I am around. I love company. Elizabeth