Thursday, June 5, 2008

Another day on chemo

This was another bad day for me. I just didn't feel good this morning, and I didn't want to get out of bed. As a matter of fact I am tapping away on the laptop in bed right now. I did get up and get dressed and make a trek to the store for food that I can eat. The side effects have started. So if you don't want to know about them, don't read any further.

The pills that I have to take for 2 weeks, I will have one week with no medication, cause mouth sores or mucositis in doctor-speak. That means it hurts to eat and swallow. My morning grape nuts are a nightmare. The nuts that I enjoyed, well they are out the window. I haven't eaten pudding in years, but it sure works well now. Yogurt that is great too. I am not much on soup, but I guess that I will learn to like it. Jello, well I haven't eaten that in years either, but it is quite soothing to the throat even if it doesn't give much nutritional value. I am trying to eat a healthy diet, but when the main consideration is softness and ease of eating it is hard to find good nutrition. One website suggested baby food, but I don't think that I am there yet.

The up side to all this-I have the time off from school to stay in bed if I choose. Tomorrow I made a lunch date with my friend Deborah Oppenheim, and I hope to feel well enough to go. Deborah is a breast cancer survivor for at least 6 years, maybe more.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

baby food. Hmmmm. Reminds me that my Dad ate baby food for years because of what is now usually diagnosed as a "spastic colon" and what was then diagnosed as an ulcer. We had hundreds of those little glass jars around the house. He hated throwing anything away. I tried some of it (not the spinach or liver or weird stuff like that) and discovered I liked it. They put tapioca in some of the pureed fruit. Not bad.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Briggs. I will remember that. I made a pot of tapioca pudding last night. I love the stuff, but I cut it out with all the sugar that I had cut from diet since January. I added some sugar to the mix but did not make it overly sweet.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the side effects are occurring. Smoothie King has some good options with good ingredients and calories. I had an ulcer in my esophagus a number of years ago and I lived on the coffee smoothies for about a month.

xian said...

How about peanut butter? I guess you'd still need to put it *on* something, and that something might be hard or sharp (like a cracker or toast), but maybe soft white bread?

Elizabeth said...

The mouth sores have miraculously disappeared. I think that is due to my white cell count going back up. I ate popcorn yesterday just because I could. Today I ate nuts. I will be ready with the soft foods for the next round, but I am sure happy to be able to eat again.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

Have you tried Ensure? My mom used it and sometimes it was all she could keep down. Also, she ate eggs, Cream of Wheat or grits, Jello and Creole cream cheese. Hope this helps.

Mary