Monday, July 21, 2008

Smooth Sailing

Okay, it is not totally smooth, but this cycle of treatments has been the easiest so far. I haven't had much to write here because I have felt so much better this third cycle than the first two cycles. I went to the doctor's office today to show them my hands. My condition is considered a grade 2 reaction to the drugs. That means they will lessen the amount of drugs that I will be given during my fourth cycle. I am all for that. These drugs are strong!

Everyone has been so complimentary of my hats and scarves that I wear to cover my bald head. That's nice, but it is hot out there. We just returned from a dog walk, and I wish that I could have gone without a head covering. Now I am hot and miserable. I sort of have a peach fuzz covering my head and to me it is unattractive. I am just not liberated enough to go au naturale.

When I report to school on August 6th, I will be on day 7 of my 4th cycle. Since the students don't arrive until the 11th, I should be able to handle the meetings and low key events that happen before the first day with kids. I will have the 5th through 8th cycle of treatments after school starts. I will be given a different cocktail of drugs than I am taking now. The side effects may be different, and I may or may not be able to tolerate them as well. The doctors cannot tell me how my body will react. I am anxious about it , but everyone says that I should take one day at a time.

My book group chose a book with a character that gets breast cancer. That took me by surprise. Luckily, it was not a major focus of the book because I may not have been able to get through it.

No comments: