Sunday, October 19, 2008

Komen Race for the Cure on the Bayou


Today was the annual Komen Race for the Cure that raises money for breast cancer research. The Taylor Tiger team was over 30 people strong with students, faculty, and the faculty's kids. On Friday at school there was a pink ribbon day to help raise money for the team. I don't know the total, but it was one of the best ever for the school. I did not think that I could make the three mile walk this year, but Steve and I did go out to cheer the team on their way. I saw about half of the students and faculty, as they were spread throughout the mass of runners and walkers. It was a beautiful, cool morning, so it wasn't much of a hardship to hang out on the bayou and wait for the racers. We stood near the end of the bridge that you see in the picture above, then we crossed the bridge to catch the group as they made their way back.

I heard that there were 7500 registered in the race. Here is a shot of the mass making their way to the 2 mile marker. The bayou was filled with youngsters enjoying canoe rides; I don't think that they had any connection to the race.



Below are two of my students from Taylor. They were near the back of the pack. The student on the left was complaining that she couldn't walk the 3 miles. I will find out tomorrow if she made it back to the park.

No comments: