Monday, January 5, 2009

On to the Next Step

I had my visit with Dr. Scroggins this morning. He told me that I am having radiation to prevent recurrance. Without radiation I have a 40% chance that my cancer could come back, with radiation the percentage drops to 5-6%. That is significant. I also had my simulation today. That means that I had a CAT SCAN to give them a picture of the location of my organs. They also made a mold of my upper back. This will be used for them to position me the exact same way for each radiation treatment. I was also tattooed with three purple dots. These are permanent and used to help them secure a more accurate aim with the radiation.

I will go in on Monday of next week for them to verify that all the steps completed today were done correctly. Then next Tuesday I start the treatment. It lasts for 6 and a half weeks Monday through Friday. I forgot to ask them how many treatments there are, but I will do that next week. I think that it will be 33. That is the protocol that I have read on the Internet.

I need to go shopping for pure aloe vera gel and a deodorant stone, and a bra without underwire. I hate having to switch products when I find something that I like. I will have burning and tenderness in the area as a result of the radiation, and I will try to follow their directions for alleviating the discomfort. Though I am not happy about having to give up what I like to use and wear. I like my routines and habits.

No comments: