Sunday, September 28, 2008

Who Knew?

I had decided early on in the summer that I would begin school in August even though I would be in the middle of my chemo treatments. I had accrued over 90 sick days over my 23 years of teaching. I figured that if I needed to take a week off for each of my four treatments and a week for my surgery and then a few days here and there for appointments and/or tests that I wouldn't use anywhere near 90 days. So far, so good.

When I am absent, the library at school is closed for business. I worried about that but decided that I needed to be able to work when I felt good. It was all about me because that is the way I look at life these days. I have to take care of myself to get through the beating that the drugs cause to my body.

However, it isn't all about me, and I learned that lesson over the last few weeks. The other day two junior girls were talking to me. One told me that I was her hero. The other explained that since I am managing so well with the cancer treatment, that has inspired her to be able to do anything. They both could not believe the energy that I have and the interest that I still have in them and books and the library. I realize now that my attending school when I can has been an inspiration to the students. Who knew? I didn't know that my cancer was going to be a teachable moment kind of thing. I have been very honest with the students. When I first announced to them about my illness, I just explained that I would be undergoing medical treatments. I could not get up in front of hundreds to say the C word. For any who have asked, I have been very forthright and explained to them as much as they seem to want to hear. Many have questions for me, and I answer them honestly. Too many of these students will be touched by C in their lives, seeing me go through it may remind them that life puts obstacles in our way but it doesn't mean that we are done.

No comments: