Thursday, May 29, 2008

First Treatment in the Chemotherapy Room



As you can see I got hooked up to my medicine, and I still have a smile on my face. There are windows on one side of the room, and I was lucky to have a chair with some natural light at my back.

The day started early. I had blood drawn at 8:20AM. Then we had a doctor's appointment at 9:30AM. We took a pager from the receptionist so we could sit in the atrium which has a better ambiance than the waiting room in hematology. Since this was my first treatment there was lots of education and lots of explanations of the drugs that I am taking. They didn't hook me up until noon. I was starving as I had eaten breakfast at 6AM. Steve bought us chicken queadillas from the cafeteria, and we enjoyed our lunch in the chemo room.

The drip started with benadryl and some anti-nausea medication. Then there was a 90 minute drip of taxotere. They provided me with the "beautiful" blue blanket you see in the picture below. Then I had another 90 minute drip of Bevacizacumab. I got several gifts today from the drug companies. We thought that was hilarious, but some of the gifts are very useful including the pill dispenser. Along with chemo by vein, I have to take pills of Xeloda for 14 days. I have to take 1650 mg each dose--that's a lot of pills. So using the dispenser is going to help me make sure that I take the right amount.

My cousin's wife , Avery Corenswet, who works at Ochsner came and sat with us twice today. The nurse was impressed that we knew someone in her position in management. We like knowing people in high places. It was nice to have her visit us.

My first side effects: metal taste in my mouth and fatigue. I came home and slept for 3 hours. I have some energy now and am able to stay up and write.

Today at the hospital, I read, worked on a crossword puzzle, surfed the net on my new Ipod Touch(Ochsner has free wi-fi--yea Ochsner), listened to a book on my Ipod, and ate lunch. I would have prefered all of the above to have happened in another location, but I did keep busy.

When I return for another round on June 19th, I meet my new oncologist. Dr. Kardinal is moving to Missouri to teach. I have been assigned to Dr. Zoe Larned. I have heard good things about her, and I look forward to meet her. My friend Leslie McDermott will sit with me for my second treatment. She has been cancer free for 15 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're totally rooting for you, Elizabeth! You look so strong and confident you can fight this thing in your picture. Good for you! -Kira