Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dr. Corsetti installs the port


This past Monday we arrived at surgery around 1:15PM. It was time for Dr. Corsetti to put in the port that will be used to administer chemotherapy. I got prepped then Steve was able to sit with me until I entered surgery. I clearly heard that they were given me the antibiotic Cipro in my IV. Rmember that, it comes in to play later. The anesthetist tells me that he is serving the margaritas and that I need to put on my party hat. I do remember going into the surgical suite, but after that I am back in recovery talking up a storm. Steve walks in a few minutes later. We can't leave until they take a chest x-ray, and it gets read. That took awhile because the radiologist left the hospital to change for the Hornets game. He came back and gave me the all clear, and we left. After picking up dinner at Picadilly, we arrived home at 6:15. A very long day but I survived my first surgery. I even went to work the next day.

I thought that I would have some time off for the site to heal. On Tuesday I start to notice a pink splotch on my neck. On Wednesday I get a call from Dr. Kardinal that I have a UTI. He wants me to take Cipro. I think that might have been the reason for the pink splotch. Then it turns out I have to go see Dr. Kardinal for a check up. I start the Cipro Wednesday afternoon and wake up Thursday with pink spots on my neck. By late Thursday the spots cover my chest. I make a zillion phone calls back and forth to Dr. Corsetti's nurse and Dr. Kardinal's nurse. They don't think that it is the antibiotic, but they still want me to stop taking it. They will mark my chart with the new allergy. The splotches look exactly like the spots I got when I took pencillin years ago. No more Cipro for me. It is now Saturday and my chest is still covered with itchy pink spots.

No comments: